Dr. Conerly has given over 1300 presentations in 32 states and four countries, because audience members love getting humor and substance at the same time.
He is designated a Certified Speaking Professional based on client surveys, evaluations by four professional speakers, and substantial education.
With the unique combination of a Ph.D. in economics from Duke University and over 30 years experience advising business managers, he brings examples from many different companies to every presentation.
Humor is a Conerly trademark (“Never cut out jokes to make room for more statistics,” he says), helping to make complex subjects understandable.
Business in an Uncertain Economy: The Best Strategies for Profitability in an Ever-changing World
Why this program: Business rises or falls with the economy. Business leaders want to know what the future holds, and they also need to be ready for the unexpected.
- Outlook for major sectors of the economy, inflation and interest rates.
- How to keep your business ready for expansion while protecting against recession.
- The role of contingency plans, both upside and downside, in a thriving business.
This presentation blends “Conerly on the Economy” with “Prepare for Perpetual Change.” This is best for meetings with limited time. For longer meetings, consider each of the two programs at different points in the agenda. Some audience interaction is common in this program, and it can be dialed up for those groups interested in more.
Conerly on the Economy: Your Company’s Opportunities and Risks in the Evolving Business Cycle
Why this program: Every business is impacted by the economy; it’s always top of mind for small business owners and corporate executives. Dr. Conerly uses common-sense explanations and simple graphics rather than tedious statistics and complex theories.
- Outlook for major sectors of the economy, with emphasis on those most important to the audience. (For example, lumber companies hear more about housing starts, while credit unions hear more about consumer spending and borrowing.)
- How the global economy will evolve, and what that means for audience members.
- Forecast for inflation and major commodity prices. (Again, with emphasis on those costs most important to the audience.)
- The risk of recession and how businesses can protect themselves.
- Politics? Dr. Conerly never uses the platform to push his own party, but he discusses critical political issues from the perspective of “What does this mean for the economy?”
Normal customization emphasizes those sectors of the economy of greatest impact on the audience. Regional audiences hear “an outsider’s perspective” on the local economy. Audience interaction is flexible; discuss your preferences with Dr. Conerly.
Prepare for Perpetual Change—Capture Opportunities and Avoid Risk in an Uncertain World
Why this program: Companies are beset by continual changes in the economy, technology, social attitudes, government regulation and competition. Top leaders help their team members adjust smoothly to enable the organization to seize opportunities and avoid risks.
- How a leader prepares the organization for change.
- Action steps to develop a culture that changes smoothly.
- Best business practices to thrive in an ever-changing environment.
- Developing employees who succeed in a changing world.
The audience hears examples from Dr. Conerly’s latest book, The Flexible Stance: Thriving in a Boom/Bust Economy. These illustrations come from companies large and small, in a variety of industries.
The presentation works well with substantial audience interaction; activities are adjusted to fit audience size.
The Next Decade: What Businesses Should Do TODAY to Prepare for Tomorrow
Why this program: Most business leaders spend time on urgent matters, but not much time on the big picture of how the world is changing. Having some key trends in mind helps executives make better day-to-day decisions.
Key takeaways depend on the audience; here are some possibilities:
- Demographics and worker availability: what to do now to prepare for when the Baby Boomers retire.
- Borrowing will be very cheap for those with great financials, but unavailable for others. How to protect your business’s access to credit.
- Your future taxes will be higher due to upcoming growth of the federal deficit; how to incorporate this into your business and personal financial planning.
- Business cycles will be more extreme than in recent years; how to protect your company from recessions, and how to gain all you can in booms.
- Technology, costs and customers: how new capabilities will allow you to clean your competitors’ clocks—or risk having your own clock cleaned.
- Globalization: Will changing political attitudes about foreign trade take us back to less globalized business? What you should do now to protect your overseas sales or supply chain.
Dr. Conerly is a futurist who avoids excessive speculation and uncertainty. Emphasizing the most likely paths, he provides action steps that business leaders can take today to prepare for the coming decade. Specifics are adjusted for the particular audience. This topic can include some audience interaction.
Dr. Conerly creates specialized content upon request. Some past presentations were:
- Log Exports to the Far East
- Foodservice and the Economy
- Adapting Your Consulting Expertise to an Uncertain Future
- The Future of Manufacturing
Call to discuss your needs.
Audience Interaction: Dr. Conerly enjoys leading interaction among audience members. These activities can be dialed up or dialed down to meet the meeting organizer’s preferences.
Keynote or Workshop? Most of these topics can be conducted either as a keynote to a large audience or as a workshop for a smaller group.
Motivational Speaker? People use this label in different ways, so here’s the data: Bill always has strong content, emphasizing actionable ideas that corporate executives and small business owners can implement immediately. His short-term economic forecast is sometimes optimistic, sometimes pessimistic, but he always expresses his long-run vision of a world growing in prosperity and freedom.
Included at no extra charge are the following items:
• Promotional video: To promote attendance and enthusiasm, I can produce a 60-second video to help sell the conference. Examples are at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJD7tcSCob8 and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oh5fGOSo68
• Customization of the presentation: I will talk to leaders of your organization to learn about the topics that most concern the audience members and adjust the presentation accordingly. I emphasize topics within my normal range of “keeping up,” such as consumer spending, interest rates, export markets, etc.
• Panel moderation: a great way to continue Bill’s work connecting the dots between the economy and business decisions is to follow his presentation with a panel that Bill moderates. You might bring in a CFO, CMO, COO, and HR director, and have Bill ask questions about how his economic outlook impacts decisions in their areas.
• Network with attendees: schedule permitting, I will attend receptions and other networking opportunities at your meeting so that your attendees can ask one-on-one questions. I’ll also learn more about their interests and concerns.
• Conversation with management teams: after my presentation, I can meet informally with your management team or board of directors so that they may ask in-depth questions. (No extra fee if scheduled in advance for the same day as the main presentation.)
• Monthly newsletter: to keep economic issues alive, I will grant a free 12-month license for my monthly newsletter. You may insert my newsletter into your own communication vehicle, email it to employees or clients, or I can email it out as requested by meeting attendees.
• Custom research: when a client wants detail that I do not routinely keep up on, I will research the area for a negotiated fee. I can usually come up to speed fairly quickly on a wide range of economics-related topics. In the past, I have done this for specific foreign countries and state economies. I will decline topics too far afield from my regular work.
• Multiple presentations: When you want my speech presented multiple times, we can negotiate a quantity discount. For example, when the client’s markets are one or two hours apart, I could do a breakfast presentation in one place, a lunch meeting at another, and an afternoon reception at a third. Fees are negotiated depending on topic variety and location.
• Board/Management retreats: In addition to a presentation, I can attend your entire planning retreat. I’ll offer up insights and ask questions throughout the entire time, or upon request from the leader. Often a team benefits from having an outsider raise issues and ask questions.
“Bill did a great job. We look forward to a continuing relationship.” John Hamburger, Franchise Times
“You are a master at your craft and a favorite of our audience.” Jim Parker, UBS Financial Services
“It can be difficult to find economists who provide good substantive information who are also entertaining and engaging. I received many enthusiastic comments about Dr. Conerly from members and others in the audience.” Molly Steckel, Idaho Telecom Alliance
“ AgFirst Farm Credit Bank has benefitted from Bill Conerly’s unique insights and perspectives several times over the past five years…his materials consistently cover the points that we agree on…he has been very well-received by our groups, and we look forward to having Bill with us again in the future.” Ronnie Hucks, AgFirst Farm Credit, Columbia
“ Our audience of local business and community leaders not only valued the economic data you provided, but they really appreciated that you made it applicable to their businesses, their personal lives and moreover – that you presented it in a clear and entertaining manner.” Scott Boyer, Mountain Pacific Bank
“Bill did a great job! There were many in the audience who liked him and many in the audience who loved him! Bill shared pertinent and timely information with our audience of commercial real estate professionals and added interesting stories and a funny sense of humor twist.” Jana Knoll, BOMA Boise
“The ratings you received from our banker evaluations were among the highest I’ve seen, which matched my impressions exactly. Your presentation style is quite engaging, you bring interesting and valuable content, and our ability to interact in an stimulating way during “Q&A” sessions makes you a valuable addition to any meeting agenda. As a bonus, you are a genuinely enjoyable participant in conference activities beyond your presentation.” Steve Yeakel, Montana Independent Bankers
“Bill Conerly is one of the most interesting and engaging speakers I have ever heard. The fact that he is a very funny man is a bonus.” James A. Kronenberg, Oregon Medical Association
“Bill is a delight and easy to work with. The client thought he was great and delivered value to their group. I would definitely recommend Bill.”
Andrea Gold, Gold Stars Speakers Bureau
For Meeting Planners
Bill’s one-sheet in pdf format.
Aluminum Extruders Council
American Forest Resources Council
Arbor Custom Homes
Aspen Corneal Society
Arizona Bankers Association
Asphalt Paving Association of Washington
Associated General Contractors
Association of Washing Business
Bank Holding Company Association
Bank of America
Bank of the Cascades
Bank of the Northwest
Bank of the West
Book Manufacturers Institute
Cascade Policy Institute
Coastal Community Bank
Columbia Forest Products
Columbia River Bank
Commercial Finance Association
Community National Bank
Composite Panel Association
Conference of State Bank Supervisors
Copper and Brass Servicenter Association
Council of State Governments
Credit Union Executives Society
D.A. Davidson & Co.
Economic Alliance Snohomish county
Empire Corporate Credit Union
Evergreen Freedom Foundation
Farmers & Merchants Bank
Federal Home Loan Bank of Cincinatti
Federal Home Loan Bank of Seattle
Goodman Real Estate Company
Great Western Casualty
Home Street Bank
Idaho Bankers Association
Idaho Department of Lands
Idaho Independent Bank
Idaho Telecom Alliance
International Sealing Distribution Association
Iowa Bankers Association
Kansas Association of Counties
Kansas Bankers Association
Kennedy Associates Real Estate Counsel
Knife River Corporation
Lane Powell Spears Lubersky
Marcus & Millichap
Massachusetts Bankers Association
Michigan Association of CPAs
Michigan Credit Union League
Mont Pelerin Society
Montana Independent Bankers
Mountain West Bank
National Assn Industrial & Office Parks
National Assn of State Credit Union Supervisors
National Center for Policy Analysis
National Education Association
National Fluid Power Association
National Speakers Association
Nebraska Bankers Association
New England Mechanical Contractor Association
North Carolina Telecommunication
Northwest Corporate Credit Union
Northwest Farm Credit
Northwest Food Service Show
Northwest Investment Councilors
Northwest Public Power Association
Oklahoma Council of Public Affairs
Oregon Bankers Association
Oregon Medical Association
Oregon Remodelers Association
Oregon Telecom Association
Oregon Trucking Association
Pacific Northwest Bank
Pacific Northwest Steel Fabricators Association
Plastic Pipe and Fitting Association
Prime Pacific Bank
Professional Insurance Marketing Association
Red Canoe Credit Union
RMA – Risk Management Associates
Roseburg Forest Products
South Dakota Banker Association
Southwest Corporate Federal Credit Union
Symetra Financial Corporation
Tennessee Bankers Association
Texas Statewide Telephone Cooperative
Thurston Economic Development Council
Timber Products Company
Unitus Credit Union
Washington Bankers Association
Washington Credit Union League
Washington Contract Loggers Association
Washington Federal Savings
Washington Forest Protection Association
Washington Trucking Association
Wells Fargo Bank
Western Association of Fastener Distributors
Western Building Material Association
Western Forestry & Conservation Association
Western Wood Products Association
Women’s Foodservice Forum
Wood Products Credit Union
World Forestry Institute
Yost Grube & Hall